What is the Federation?
The Federation of Family History Societies (FFHS) is an educational charity with over 180 member societies throughout the world. Most of them focus on a particular geographical area or on a specific surname but there are also a variety of other specialist organisations. For contact and other details, see our full list of member societies.
Using our website, social media and other means of communication, we ensure that family history news, book reviews and guidance on how to learn more about the subject are readily available to member societies and to the general public.
The services we provide to our member societies and to family historians in general include:
- Directory of Speakers- essential help when organising a programme of meetings.
- Events - we attend events such as "Who Do You Think You Are?" to raise the profile of our member societies, especially those not running their own stalls on the occasion.
- Newsletter - everyone is welcome to sign up for a free email every two months covering genealogy news, resources and events.
- Projects - improving knowledge of and access to relevant data.
- Really Useful Leaflet (RUL) - features our member societies, useful websites and other topics of wide interest. The link also leads to the Australasian version of RUL.
- Representation - we lobby official bodies on matters affecting the study of family history.
- Seminars - these address topics relevant to our member societies. They are great occasions for those who run societies to get together, learn and share their insights. The link for this item goes inside the Members Only area.